iBooks Question

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.9 (Mavericks) and all earlier versions of OS X.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

iBooks Question

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:42 pm

So I can't figure out how iBooks (Mac) is supposed to work.

In iBooks on my iMac, I found and downloaded a sample of a textbook. I can see it and read it in my iBooks library on my Mac, but I can't see any way to sync the book sample to my iPad.

If I look in iTunes in the Books section for my iPad, that book isn't listed. There doesn't seem to be any way to find it on my iPad.

iBooks (Mac) Help has this to say:
If you buy a book on your Mac, it’s automatically available on all of your iOS devices with iOS 6 or later and with Show All Purchases turned on in iBooks settings. (Books made with iBooks Author aren’t available on iPhone or iPod touch.) To see all your purchased books on your Mac, choose View > Show Purchases in iCloud.
But I still can't seem to find any way to get that sample onto my iPad.

Any clues? Could it be because it's just a sample? And what sense would that make?
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Re: iBooks Question

Post by Ray Bentsen » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:19 pm

Are you sure that you have entered the same Apple ID on both devices?

In iBooks in the view menu, have you selected "Authorize this computer"? It is a separate authorization from an iTunes authorization.

If you still do not have syncing, try reading this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5826

;)
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

rickj
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by rickj » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:52 am

I've noticed this with samples too. Samples don't seem to synch like purchased books do. I just download the sample again on my iDevice. Unless it's some kind of multimedia extravaganza, a sample doesn't take long to download.

Once you have a sample on all your devices, iBooks does seem to keep your bookmarks and current page in sync.
Rick

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:38 pm

I have older samples that are syncing, but I guess those came from iTunes of yore. I've just bought a couple more, and made some collections, and found that purchased items that aren't samples sync just fine. And collections sync as well.
Note that "Books" and "PDFs" are just collection names. You can put either kind of title in whatever collection you want, which is pretty nice.

So I think rickj has it right: samples downloaded into iBooks Mac don't sync. Go figure.

Otherwise, I think iBooks Mac is excellent. It's sometimes very nice to read an iBook on the Mac. And organizing is much easier on a 27" monitor.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs