NetInfo Manager

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.9 (Mavericks) and all earlier versions of OS X.
JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

NetInfo Manager

Post by JerryFreilich » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:17 am

If you've ever needed to do Network diagnostics on the Mac the standard tool was always "NetInfo Manager" an Apple utility located in the Utilities Folder. In Mavericks that application is apparently gone. I found out, however, that it's not really deleted... simply hidden. What were those engineers thinking???? It makes no sense!!!!

At any rate, if you need to PING or LookUp someone to test your network connection, go to the Apple Menu --> About This Mac. Click on "More Info" and you will then see that "System Information" app open. Now check this out.... if you look under the "System Information" app's menu you will see one called "Window." For some utterly incomprehensible reason "Network Utility" is there. Amazing.

If I were King things would be run differently...........

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: NetInfo Manager

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:38 pm

It was just moved in Mavericks to a different folder.

your drive > System > Library > CoreServices > Applications > Network Utility.app

I saw this mentioned on Macintouch. You can merely make an alias to that Applications folder, rename the alias and put it wherever you want.

You could also, of course, leave it alone and just type "command space ne return".

The reasoning is obvious. Probably only one Mac user in a million has ever used Network Utility, or even knows that it exists.

(Of course, probably only one Mac user in a million ever looks all the way through their Applications folder.)
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:52 pm

Thanks for that bit of detective work, Stephen. I went to the spot you indicated but the app is not there on my computer (see screen shot).
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-10-31 at 2.52.40 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2013-10-31 at 2.52.40 PM.jpg (51.37 KiB) Viewed 2059 times

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:11 pm

And yet.... when I do a Spotlight search for App with name Network Utility, there it is! Can you explain that??
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-10-31 at 4.10.43 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2013-10-31 at 4.10.43 PM.jpg (18.95 KiB) Viewed 2058 times

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:26 pm

Hmm.
That's a different app, called, according to your screenshot, Network Diagnostics, not Network Utility.
On my Mac, OBEXAgent and ManagedClient--shown in your screenshot--are system files here: my drive > System > Library > CoreServices

Here's the path I posted:

your drive > System > Library > CoreServices > Applications > Network Utility.app
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs