What Is Copy Job.app?

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.9 (Mavericks) and all earlier versions of OS X.
rickj
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Re: What Is Copy Job.app?

Post by rickj » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:42 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:
rickj wrote: It turns out that this setting happens to be very useful for other types of devices and software also. I should know- most of the software I write makes use of it. But since it can allow a piece of software to control your computer, it presents a security risk.
By the way, I'd love to know what software you make. Unless it's classified. In that case, forget I ever asked.
It was classified until WikiLeaks :D

Here's a link to our website JLCooper Electronics and here's a link to our software products JLCooper Software which are basically front ends and drivers for our hardware. I didn't do any of the Windows software.
Rick

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:08 pm

rickj wrote:
Richard Serkes wrote:Well I opened the Security panel in System Preferences, unlocked it and then manually ran SuperDuper! expecting to see the message when SD was finished. No message was there. But I had used someone else's suggestion earlier about deleting the schedule and then reestablishing the schedule. Could this have fixed it? I don't know.

I guess I'll find out tomorrow morning after SD runs automatically overnight.
You could try scheduling it about a minute into the future so you would be awake when Copy Job.app tried to run. Once you've added it to the list, you could set it back to its regular schedule. Or you could just deal with it when you get up the next morning ;)

I'll deal with it when I get up in the morning.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:05 am

Richard Serkes wrote:Hmmmm, I do use SuperDuper every night while I'm fast asleep. I'll try those suggestions in the referred post. By the way, this just started after I loaded Mavericks so it may be a minor bug that SuperDuper will fix.

Thanks.
A new version 2.7.2 should be available shortly. It appears one way to fix the problem now is to delete currently scheduled jobs and then re-create them.

There is more in this Shirt Pocket blog post: http://www.shirt-pocket.com/blog/index. ... mavericks/

;)
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:10 am

Thanks for the link, Ray. That explains things quite well. As soon as the update is released I shouldn't have a problem.

So what did I find this morning after deleting all scheduled copies and recreating the schedule? I found a message saying Copy Job.app was trying to work for the first time. Was this OK? I clicked OK and SuperDuper! started running its backup which had been scheduled for 4:00AM. But this was a different message than I originally received which said Copy Job.app was trying to take over my computer.

Any time you load a new OS there are going to be third party app issues. SD will be fixed with the announced update and I now have a workaround for my HP scanner issues. This really hasn't been a bad OS transition at all.
---

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:21 am

This is probably the final report on this issue, at least from me. After I deleted all the schedules and recreated the schedule I manually ran SuperDuper! without any problems. The next morning after SD was to automatically do its thing via the new schedule I found a different message saying Copy Job.app wanted permission to run for the first time. I said OK and SD immediately started doing a backup. I think that at the scheduled time SD started and stopped until I gave permission to use Copy Job.

This morning there were no messages and after checking the log I can report that SD did its thing at 4:00AM as it was supposed to. So once you delete all schedules, recreate a schedule you still have to tell Mavericks that it's OK for SD to run Copy Job. After giving permission SD will be just fine.

I'm still going to upgrade to the new version. There might be other "under the hood" issues with mavericks I'm not aware of.
---