What Is Copy Job.app?

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.9 (Mavericks) and all earlier versions of OS X.
User avatar
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5
Posts: 1026
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:21 pm
Location: Port Angeles, WA

What Is Copy Job.app?

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:53 am

Since loading Mavericks I've found this message (see below) on my screen twice. I have no idea what this app is or what it does. Before I give it permission to control my machine I'd like to know more about it. It's a little like that '60s Sci-Fi show telling me not to touch my dial as the show was in control of my TV. Was that The Outer Limits?
Attachments
screenshot_214.jpg
screenshot_214.jpg (84.62 KiB) Viewed 2016 times
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

User avatar
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5
Posts: 3111
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:09 am

Re: What Is Copy Job.app?

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:50 am

This appears to answer your question.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/18 ... 0&tstart=0
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

User avatar
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5
Posts: 1026
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:21 pm
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Re: What Is Copy Job.app?

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:03 am

Hmmmm, I do use SuperDuper every night while I'm fast asleep. I'll try those suggestions in the referred post. By the way, this just started after I loaded Mavericks so it may be a minor bug that SuperDuper will fix.

Thanks.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

User avatar
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5
Posts: 3111
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:09 am

Re: What Is Copy Job.app?

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:06 am

Richard Serkes wrote:Hmmmm, I do use SuperDuper every night while I'm fast asleep.
You should be careful. Sleepwalking can be dangerous.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

User avatar
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5
Posts: 1026
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:21 pm
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Re: What Is Copy Job.app?

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:33 am

Stephen Hart wrote:
Richard Serkes wrote:Hmmmm, I do use SuperDuper every night while I'm fast asleep.
You should be careful. Sleepwalking can be dangerous.
SuperDuper is a freebie but for just a little $$$ you can get the deluxe version which includes a scheduler. I don't actually get up that early to run SuperDuper, I use the scheduler. But you knew that.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

User avatar
rickj
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:29 pm

Re: What Is Copy Job.app?

Post by rickj » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:03 pm

Richard Serkes wrote:Since loading Mavericks I've found this message (see below) on my screen twice. I have no idea what this app is or what it does. Before I give it permission to control my machine I'd like to know more about it. It's a little like that '60s Sci-Fi show telling me not to touch my dial as the show was in control of my TV. Was that The Outer Limits?
This is new to Mavericks. In the past, the Accessibility panel in System Preferences had a setting called "Allow access for assistive devices". There are devices out there like screen readers and other alternative input devices that are used by people with disabilities who might have difficulty interacting with their Macs. This setting is necessary for these devices to work.

It turns out that this setting happens to be very useful for other types of devices and software also. I should know- most of the software I write makes use of it. But since it can allow a piece of software to control your computer, it presents a security risk.

So Apple removed this setting from the Accessibility panel and moved it to the Security and Privacy panel. It is now a per application, instead of system-wide, setting. There is a list in this panel of the apps that are allowed to use the Accessibility features.
secandpriv.jpg
secandpriv.jpg (43.54 KiB) Viewed 2011 times
The only way to add an app to the list is to launch it, and the first time the app tries to make use of any Accessibility features, the dialog you saw will pop up. If you know what the app is, then go ahead and add it to the list. If it is a background app, like Copy Job.app, it would be a good idea to try and figure out what it is first. I imagine, that as time goes by, developers will add something about this to their documentation, or even change the name of background processes so that they are recognizable, like Super Duper Copy Job.app.
Rick

User avatar
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5
Posts: 1026
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:21 pm
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Re: What Is Copy Job.app?

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:07 pm

Well I opened the Security panel in System Preferences, unlocked it and then manually ran SuperDuper! expecting to see the message when SD was finished. No message was there. But I had used someone else's suggestion earlier about deleting the schedule and then reestablishing the schedule. Could this have fixed it? I don't know.

I guess I'll find out tomorrow morning after SD runs automatically overnight.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

User avatar
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5
Posts: 3111
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:09 am

Re: What Is Copy Job.app?

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:01 pm

Richard Serkes wrote:But you knew that.
Sometimes people have accused me of being too literal. Or, wait. Was that "literary"?
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

User avatar
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5
Posts: 3111
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:09 am

Re: What Is Copy Job.app?

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:06 pm

rickj wrote: It turns out that this setting happens to be very useful for other types of devices and software also. I should know- most of the software I write makes use of it. But since it can allow a piece of software to control your computer, it presents a security risk.
By the way, I'd love to know what software you make. Unless it's classified. In that case, forget I ever asked.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

User avatar
rickj
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:29 pm

Re: What Is Copy Job.app?

Post by rickj » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:29 pm

Richard Serkes wrote:Well I opened the Security panel in System Preferences, unlocked it and then manually ran SuperDuper! expecting to see the message when SD was finished. No message was there. But I had used someone else's suggestion earlier about deleting the schedule and then reestablishing the schedule. Could this have fixed it? I don't know.

I guess I'll find out tomorrow morning after SD runs automatically overnight.
You could try scheduling it about a minute into the future so you would be awake when Copy Job.app tried to run. Once you've added it to the list, you could set it back to its regular schedule. Or you could just deal with it when you get up the next morning ;)
Rick

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest