Finder Windows Not Working Right

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.9 (Mavericks) and all earlier versions of OS X.
JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Finder Windows Not Working Right

Post by JerryFreilich » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:10 pm

I don't know how this is working for you... but I always use multiple Finder windows and when I double click on a folder I want that folder to open in a new window. In previous OS X versions, there has always been a check box in the Finder Preferences where you could check it if you wanted folders to always open in a new window.

On my MacBook Pro I am finding Mavericks is NOT WORKING properly right now. First of all... on my machine when I click on a Finder folder, I do not get either a New Window OR a new tab! It simply opens that folder, the "origin" folder disappears and a single folder is left. You have to click the Back arrow to go back to the parent or origin folder. This is not acceptable to me at all. In Finder Preferences I've tried checking the box that says "Open Folders in Tabs Instead of New Windows." That is NOT WORKING either!! My machine is not creating new tabs.

I have found that if you hold down COMMAND while double clicking on a folder that it will open that folder in a new window. You can also CONTROL-Click a folder and get the pop-down menu where "Open in New Window" is an option. BOTH of these work-arounds are LAME and should not be necessary!!!

I have a feeling my configuration may be "corrupted" somehow and that new install or trashing some prefs file may fix this. But I'm curious to hear what others are experiencing.

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Re: Finder Windows Not Working Right

Post by Ray Bentsen » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:12 pm

Jerry,
I think your configuration is fine. My iMac works exactly as you indicate your MacBook Pro works.

Adapt ... its called evolution.

;)
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:23 am

I'm not sure if it's a setting, but command double click has opened folders in new windows for several versions of OS X.
I always use the column view, where click and double click on a folder do the same thing: show the contents in the next column.

If you want folders to open in windows instead of tabs, you can choose that in Finder Preferences > General.

Or you can make a new tab and tear it off to make a window.

I haven't fiddled enough to know if I like tabs or not.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:18 am

What I've said here is that the "Finder Preferences" button for how windows are opened (in new tabs or new windows) is not working at all in Mavericks. For me, anyway.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:11 am

So you're saying that the checkbox below doesn't work for you? I just tested and it works for me using command doubleclick.
Attachments
open.jpg
open.jpg (27.58 KiB) Viewed 1634 times
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:04 am

That's correct... the button you underline does not work AT ALL on my MacBook Pro. It makes no difference whether it is checked or unchecked. Double clicking on any folder in any Finder window produces the same result.... the folder is opened and that open window is the only window on the screen. I don't like this!!

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:57 am

Are you double clicking or command double clicking?
Double clicking behaves differently in Icon, List and CoverFlow views than it does in Column view. Command double clicking should make a new window or tab in all views.
What happens if you control click (right click). Does the first contextual menu item change depending on the state of the checkbox?
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:19 am

Macintouch has some input on this issue. Apparently the Finder preference to Always Open in New Window has been removed.

I didn't even notice because I've always had that unchecked for some reason I can't even remember. I've always used command double click, so it's now natural to me.
Steve Jobs