Mavericks Favorite Features

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.9 (Mavericks) and all earlier versions of OS X.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Mavericks Favorite Features

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:26 pm

This one sounds excellent:
Many websites display animations using power-hungry plug-ins that can drain precious battery life. But OS X Mavericks is watching out for you. The new Safari Power Saver feature recognizes the difference between what you came to see and the stuff you probably didn’t. If the content is front and center it plays as usual. But if it’s off in the margins, Safari Power Saver pauses it. You’ll see a static preview, and it won’t run until you click to play it. So if you don’t want to watch something, it won’t take a toll on your battery life. With Safari Power Saver, browsing websites with plug-in content will use up to 35 percent less CPU power.
I mean, I don't give a whit about power saving, but what Apple's slyly doing here is shutting down those brain-blending, jiggling, animated ads at the margins.
And poking a stick in Adobe's eye! Without using Safari plugins that break every time Safari's updated!!
Attachments
at_plugin.png
at_plugin.png (196.8 KiB) Viewed 1352 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Mavericks Favorite Features

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:58 pm

I haven't seen any discussion of how much Apple Maps will be integrated in Mavericks and updated Apple apps. I fervently hope it's widespread. Aperture's location feature relies on Google Maps, and the interaction between those maps and the Magic Mouse is terrible. A mere twitch of the finger, and the map zooms to infinitely large or small.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:48 am

From Mac News Network:
In something of a surprise move, however, Apple has (at least thus far) made OS X Mavericks (10.9)'s system requirements all but identical to those of Mountain Lion -- meaning Macs as old as mid-2007 may be able to run it.
This is based on the developers' beta.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:31 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:I haven't seen any discussion of how much Apple Maps will be integrated in Mavericks and updated Apple apps. I fervently hope it's widespread. Aperture's location feature relies on Google Maps, and the interaction between those maps and the Magic Mouse is terrible. A mere twitch of the finger, and the map zooms to infinitely large or small.
As I wrote elsewhere, Apple Maps in Aperture 3.5 for Mavericks is excellent, and solves the problem I wrote about here.

Having the Maps app on your Mac, and being able to send map locations and directions to your iPhone or iPad is brilliant.

Apple does need to upgrade their error reporting in Maps. Often, a picture could save a thousand words, so they should include a screenshot in every submission.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:34 pm

A feature of Mavericks I don't use myself turns out to be brilliant.
Mavericks includes the menubar on all monitors connected to a Mac. This is implemented very nicely. The menubar becomes active when you click in the monitor. Otherwise it's slightly grayed out.
This will be a huge benefit to those who use a MacBook with a second monitor, for example, my wife, Karen.
Steve Jobs