Installed Software List in Mountain Lion

Discussion of issues related to OSX 10.9 (Mavericks) and all earlier versions of OS X.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Installed Software List in Mountain Lion

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:18 am

I was looking for info on a MacBook Pro Firmware Update and found I didn't know how to find the list of installed software in Mountain Lion.
This web page solved the problem:

OS X: Finding Mountain Lion’s Installed Software List
http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/ ... ntain-lion

Bottom line:
Apple Menu > About this Mac > More Info > System Report > Software > Installations

You can sort by date, for example.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Re: Installed Software List in Mountain Lion

Post by Ray Bentsen » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:20 pm

Stephen,

Thanks for that info. I think it is especially handy to know which apps were purchased from the Mac App Store, since they need to be updated using the App Store. (see screenshot)

I discovered (the hard way) that if you purchase an app from the Mac App Store and then upgrade it, say from a developer's website download, the app loses its embedded Apple ID signature ... and therefore will no longer update using App Store.

In my case, I corrected the situation by simply deleting the app (but not it's support files) from my Mac, and then downloading it again from the App Store. And since Apple keeps track of all purchases that were made using a particular Apple ID, the re-download was free.

:)

P.S. I do find it curious, however, that some of the Apple software items in the list have listed version numbers, but others do not.
Attachments
Software Installs.jpg
Software Installs.jpg (308.64 KiB) Viewed 1093 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.