Reminders -- Sort Order Is Scrambled

Discussion of issues related to iCloud, Apple's "cloud" service designed to store and sync your music, photos, apps, calendars, and documents
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Reminders -- Sort Order Is Scrambled

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:02 pm

This thread could also have gone in the iOS5 subforum as this issue overlaps the two topics. I have just changed my MobileMe account to iCloud and am having a problem with the sort order in Reminders. There's no rhyme nor reason to the order in which the reminders are displayed. It's not in chronological order (either ascending or descending) nor is it in alphabetical order. I just can't figure it out. I want the reminders to be in chronological order with the next todo reminder at the top of the list and the last todo reminder at the bottom.

What's really confusing is that if I go into the iCloud site and look at my calendar, the reminders are in chronological order with the next todo reminder at the top and the last at the bottom...just the way I set it up in iCal.

If there's a way to set the sort order inside Reminders I can't find it. If you know the secret please post it here. Thanks!
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Reminders -- Sort Order Is Scrambled

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:24 am

Here's an update. I went into iCloud this morning and checked the calendar. The reminders were set to display based on priority rather than date. This must have changed when I made the transition from MobileMe to the iCloud as my MobileMe calendar sort was based on date. I changed the reminders on the iCloud calendar to sort by date and they did.

But Reminders on my iPhone and iPad are still displaying in a random order. It's been a couple of hours since I made the change on the iCloud calendar but the change hasn't been "pushed" to my other iThingies. This is weird.
---

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:03 am

After spending some time on the Apple/Support/ICloud community forum I have my answer. Are you ready for this? On the iPad or iPhone you cannot sort the todo reminders in Reminder. The reminders are displayed in the order in which they are entered. Period. The end.

The idea is that the individual entries will be displayed in chronological order in the drop down Notifications app which you can view by swiping your finger down from the top of the screen.

But I don't want to see just today's reminders in Notifications, I want to see my entire list in chronological order and Reminders won't let you do that. What a waste of space! What were the techies at Apple thinking?

Before iOS5 there was no todo app included with the OS so I purchased BusyToDo from the same folks who publish BusyCal. BusyToDo is a great todo app for your iPhone or iPad that does everything a todo app should. And it syncs seamlessly with BusyCal which I much prefer over iCal. So I'll just keep using the BusyCal/BusyToDo combo and ignore the iCal/Reminders/Notifications combo.
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:54 am

It doesn't necessarily help, but here's an Apple Support Discussion on that topic. There's a link to Apple Feedback.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/16481353#16481353
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:19 am

Stephen Hart wrote:It doesn't necessarily help, but here's an Apple Support Discussion on that topic. There's a link to Apple Feedback.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/16481353#16481353
Actually this discussion centers around Address Book and types of phonetic spellings. But I did find my answer in the Apple Support Forums. It doesn't matter, I can't sort by date within Reminders. There's no way to do that.

You know, this all started with the calendar in iOSx. I guess to preserve limited screen space the todo list was deleted (as compared to the full sized iCal which has the todo list on the right side). That would have been OK if Apple had given us a separate todo app but none was offered until iOS5 and it's not worth a bucket of warm spit. That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it.
---