Take Control of iCloud

Discussion of issues related to iCloud, Apple's "cloud" service designed to store and sync your music, photos, apps, calendars, and documents
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Take Control of iCloud

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:23 am

Since last week's massive software release by Apple, the industry forecast has been iCloudy, with a high chance of MobileMe upgrade confusion and Apple ID conflicts. But we can look forward to calm skies once again, thanks to the months of painstaking work Joe Kissell put into his latest book, "Take Control of iCloud." Just as Apple's new iCloud service isn't just an update to MobileMe, this ebook is far more than a new version of Joe's "Take Control of MobileMe." In this 143-page ebook, you'll benefit from Joe's exploration in the uncharted territory of the betas of Mac OS X 10.7.2 Lion and iOS 5, plus his nearly non-stop work once iCloud was released to wrap up loose ends and track down Apple ID mysteries. It's $15 and available now at:

http://tid.bl.it/icloud-email

iCloud is an astonishing engineering effort, but rough edges remain, especially for those of us who have relied on Apple's Internet services for years and who may be using older Macs, iOS devices, and operating systems. In "Take Control of iCloud," Joe explains how you get started with iCloud regardless of whether or not you used MobileMe, helps smooth the transition to iCloud for MobileMe users, and teaches you how to use iCloud's features once you're up and running.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Re: Take Control of iCloud

Post by Ray Bentsen » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:56 pm

After reading the "Take Control of iCloud" description (see screenshot), I decided to buy a copy.

Hopefully it will provide some answers to lingering questions, especially for those migrating to iCloud from MobileMe ... like why I was required to get a second Apple ID.

A single purchase will allow you both to download both a PDF and an EPUB version.

:)
Attachments
Take Control Summary.jpg
Take Control Summary.jpg (143.56 KiB) Viewed 1580 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:15 pm

Note that you can have as many Apple IDs as you like. And that any mac.com or me.com name is already an Apple ID.

It's confusing, though, if you have to deal with more than one Apple ID. You can only be logged in anywhere with a single Apple ID at a time. For example, you have to log out, then in, then out, then in to get updates to apps if you have bought them on two Apple IDs.

I've run into issues in the past with this and have two current Apple IDs for myself and two for my mother in law, whose iPad I support.

All this has to do with the way Apple set up IDs in the first place. One would hope that sometime they'll figure out a secure way to combine two Apple IDs.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed May 02, 2012 1:26 pm

Take Control of iCloud has just been updated to 1.2. It's free if you've already purchased TCoiC.

Remember that you can have it all: pdf for your Mac and ePub for your iPhone or iPad.

As the deadline approaches, I've seen a couple of very good comments about this book. I plan to study it well before the college gets out and we then have a couple of weeks to update.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed May 02, 2012 4:12 pm

And here's a screenshot (slightly edited):

How can you not love Apple?
Attachments
iCloud.jpg
iCloud.jpg (27.28 KiB) Viewed 1407 times