Migration from MobileMe to iCloud

Discussion of issues related to iCloud, Apple's "cloud" service designed to store and sync your music, photos, apps, calendars, and documents
Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Migration from MobileMe to iCloud

Post by Ray Bentsen » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:57 am

Once you have updated your Mac to OS X 10.7.2 and restart, MobileMe subscribers are presented with the option of migrating to iCloud (see screenshot).

The process worked fine for me, and with my iPhone 4 and iPad 2 upgraded to iOS 5, iCloud is now automatically syncing those devices with my Mac ... including selected iWork documents.

Also note that current MobileMe subscribers will automatically be given 25 GB of iCloud storage space until June 30, 2012.
:D
Attachments
Move to iCloud.jpg
Move to iCloud.jpg (107 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Migration from MobileMe to iCloud

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:58 pm

One of the three Macs we need to sync is still on Snow Leopard, so I can't test yet. And it appears it's all or nothing. I can't, for example, sync photos from my iPhone to my Mac without going whole hog. I need to migrate all info to iCloud. We'll do that, but as the one outlier Mac is at the college, I don't have much control. (There were rumors a while back that Snow Leopard would get an iCloud preference pane. But I haven't seen anything recent.)

Also, it's not exactly clear to me how PhotoStream works. I'd like to sync my iPhone with my iMac, maybe.* But I certainly don't want a month's worth of photos from Aperture uploaded. That'd be hundreds of photos in some months, almost all not things I would want to look at on my iPhone. So do I get the choice of it up as a one way sync?
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:00 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:Also, it's not exactly clear to me how PhotoStream works. I'd like to sync my iPhone with my iMac, maybe.* But I certainly don't want a month's worth of photos from Aperture uploaded. That'd be hundreds of photos in some months, almost all not things I would want to look at on my iPhone. So do I get the choice of it up as a one way sync?
I'll take a shot at your last question in a separate "Photo Stream" thread, since this thread was intended to be about the migration process from MobileMe to iCloud.

;)
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:22 pm

Ray Bentsen wrote:I'll take a shot at your last question in a separate "Photo Stream" thread, since this thread was intended to be about the migration process from MobileMe to iCloud.
;)
Thanks Ray. I've responded over there.
But as I note there, the two topics are chained together at the wrists and ankles.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs