iCloud from iPad?

Discussion of issues related to iCloud, Apple's "cloud" service designed to store and sync your music, photos, apps, calendars, and documents
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

iCloud from iPad?

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:34 pm

In attempting to check out the new iWork for iCloud apps, I find that I can't log into iCloud on my iPad. Here's what happens:

I select my Safari bookmark for iCloud, the same one I use on my iMac, it's automatically redirected to http://www.icloud.com/ipad_welcome, and I get a screen that says Set up iCloud on this device. But it's already set up.

BTW, as a check, I set up a iPassword entry for iCloud. Trying to log in from 1Password, using it's dedicated browser, yields the same result.

Any advice from iPad super users?
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: iCloud from iPad?

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:34 pm

Yup, that's what happens. I've never read an explanation from Apple as to why you can't access the iCloud website using any iOS device, but you can't.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:37 am

Richard Serkes wrote:Yup, that's what happens. I've never read an explanation from Apple as to why you can't access the iCloud website using any iOS device, but you can't.
But then how is iWork for iCloud supposed to work? Is there some other way I don't know of to log into iCloud from iOS?
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:57 am

Apple's page says
With iWork for iCloud we’re bringing Pages, Numbers, and Keynote to the web — on Mac and PC. And thanks to iCloud, your work is always up to date on all your devices.
So I guess the only way to use iWork for iCloud from an iPad is to use the iWork apps. I assume the same files would be available to edit. I'll check this out later.

Maybe there are plans afoot to improve this experience in iOS 7, at the very least a clear explanation of what's going on.
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:35 am

You are correct. If you have your Pages, Numbers, and Keynote files on the iCloud server when you open ANY version of these programs you'll find your personal files and be able to work on them and save your work to the cloud. Subsequently, all iWork programs regardless of where the program resides will have access to the updated files.

Unfortunately, since you can't directly access the iCloud from an iOS device you must purchase the programs for you iOS device. On a Mac or even a PC you can have access to the iWork on the web versions without owning the Mac versions of these programs.

As you said Stephen, maybe Apple will allow iPads etc. to go to the iCloud directly in iOS7. To quote my Romanian grandmother (not to be confused with my Lithuanian grandmother) "We shall see what we shall see."
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.